November 18, 2008

Fall Pesto

I just realized I never published this post, so it's a little late but still great!

Today was the last day of my town's farmers market so to celebrate (mourn would be more accurate) I bought a couple big bunches of basil and made enough pesto to freeze. I felt very "Little House on the Prairie" as I was setting away stores for winter. I think pesto may have the best smell of anything so I decided to spread the love and share the recipe with you.

Ingredients:
6 cups loose basil (don't pack it in)
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 C pine nuts (although I did a few batches with pecans that turned out fine)
1/2 C parmesan cheese
2 cloves fresh garlic
kosher salt
2 t black pepper
3/4 C olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients, reserving 1/4 c of olive oil. Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, adding the remaining olive oil while blending.

This is great on pasta with fresh tomatoes and feta cheese. It is also fabulous on pizza with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.

No comments: