April 1, 2008

Baby Quilt


I'm due to have a baby in a week, so I haven't been really on top of things. But I did get around to making her a little quilt this last week. I grew up tying quilts at church functions and always thought you had to have professional quilting frames to tie quilts. I don't own any so I never dared tie quilts myself. I fell in love with this fabric so decided to give tying a quilt a try at home.

After I sewed the top and bottom pieces I put them right sides together on the floor with a piece of batting on top. After I got it all smooth and nice I pinned everything together like crazy and sewed around all four sides, leaving a one foot gap to pull it right side out. After sewing around and trimming the edges I pulled it right side out and put it flat on the ground again. I made sure everything was completely smooth and layed right then I put safety pins through all three layers in the places I wanted ties to go. That way I was able to pick up the quilt and not worry about it getting all weird and uneven when I tied it because everything was lined up where I wanted it to go. I would never try this approach with a big quilt but it worked wonderfully with a small one. After it was all tied I just sewed around the edge. It is completely unprofessional but turned out good enough for me.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Looks like your corners matched up nicely. Good job! I'm working on my first quilt ever.