March 3, 2008

Asian Pork Dumplings

I went to a recipe-exchange night for my church and we made these fabulous asian dumplings. I liked them so much that the next night I made them for my family. As always, the recipe is easy and actually pretty darn cheap. You can get a stack of 100 dumpling wrappers at Aisan markets for $1.29! I will have to start exploring ethnic markets more and see what other cheap and delicious treasures I can find.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground pork
1 medium head cabbage (I used the Napa variety)
5 carrots
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1-2 tsp. ginger

Cook the pork in a skillet until brown. Drain off as much fat as possible. Put pork, cabbage, carrots, onions, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. I actually used a blender- just be careful to not put too much in at once, otherwise it juices the ingredients. Once you have everything chopped and mixed together place 2-3 tsp of filling on each wrapper.
Then dip your fingers in water and get the edge wet half way around. This allows the dough to stick together when you fold it in half .
Fold the dumpling in half and pinch the edges to seal it.
When you are done folding them stick them in a skillet with a little oil (just enough to cover the bottom) and fry about 3 minutes on each side. For a healthier version you can also boil them for 5-8 minutes. We dipped them in an sweet chili sauce from the asian store and in a sesame oil-soy sauce blend.

This recipe makes about 100 dumplings. If you serve them as a main dish count on 10-15 dumplings per person. The recipe is very forgiving so add and subtract ingredients according to your personal preference. I think next time I make it I will use less pork and more cabbage to make them a little healthier. I have also heard that adding mushrooms or water chestnuts is good.

1 comment:

david santos said...

Excellent posting, Sarah!
Have a good day.