February 18, 2008

So Simple Vegetable Soup

 


When I was 19 I lived in France with a french family and the mom was an amazing cook. I still use many of her recipes but mostly just her approach to cooking as I cook for my own family. Like most french people, they started out every meal with a salad and in the winter with this vegetable soup. I remembered this soup the other day and looked through my recipes until I found it. When I looked at the ingredients I actually had to do a double take- it really is just vegetables and a few Tablespoons of milk. I've been making a lot of soups lately that require mounds of ingredients, spices, and especially cheeses and creams so this was a real find for me. No wonder french women don't get fat! (PS, I love that book and the recipes in it)

Ingredients (for this batch):
3 potatoes
5 carrots
1 onion
5 stalks celery
about 1/4 milk

Boil the vegetables then blend in a blender with milk. I seasoned mine with a pinch of thyme, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. The great thing about this soup is that you can use whatever you have in your fridge and whatever spices you feel like. It isn't rich or exploding with flavor so it works best as a side or a starter. We ate it last night with turkey sandwiches and it was a perfectly satisfying meal. Also, my 18 month old son LOVED it and ate about a cup and a half. I couldn't have been happier.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Amy said...

ooh! how neat; I'm going to try this recipe tonight! Thanks, Sarah!