January 29, 2008

Dishtowel Bib



I have made a bunch of these lately for baby showers and for my own son. Today I had an extra dish towel laying around and decided that we could use on more at our house. In my opinion, this is the best bib around- and SO easy to make.
Materials needed (for three):
3 Dishtowels
1/4 yard of stretch ribbing
pins
thread to match the ribbing


1. Begin by cutting a hole 4" in diameter about 1/4 of the way down the dishtowel.
2. Cut a piece of ribbing 13" X 3.5" so it stretches parallel with the long side.
3. Fold the ribbing down 3/8" on each of the long sides. Then fold the ribbing short sides together and sew using a 3/8" seam. (see picture).

4. Fold the ribbing "ring" in half and iron.
5. Pin the ribbing around the hole sandwiching the dishtowel between the ribbing, making sure to stretch the ribbing evenly around the hole. This sounds much more complicated than it is.

6. Once pinned, simply sew along the edge of the ribbing, making sure that you catch the dishtowel and the other side of the ribbing.


Voila! Finished!

Notes:
*The measurements for the hole can be adjusted for different children, just make sure the the ribbing is shorter than the circumference of the hole.
*If you have a serger you could simply serge the ribbing to the hole, bypassing any "sandwiching.

12 comments:

deldobuss said...

I have been looking for a tutorial on this, thank you! I received a batch of these with my first child and they were the best bibs ever! Now I can make them for my friends and family to enjoy.

Jodz said...

Great tutorial. I am so going to make some of these for my friends little ones.

Neneh said...

This is genius! My brother will have his first baby this year and I want to make some bibs for them and I'd like for them to be really practical and special at the same time. Now, I finally found what I was looking for! Just hope I'll be fine with this stretchy stuff, uh! Thanks a lot for the tutorial.

Daniella said...

I would love to make one of these, where do you buy the stretch ribbing?

Mommy's Kitchen said...

How cute i was doing a search for dish towel bibs and it brought me to your blog. I am sitting for a 7 month old and i bought a holiday one at a garage sale. I wanted to make some for her. I will be back i love your blog.

sharla@mylittlegems said...

We grew up on these bibs. My mom has been making them for years. I even used them for my own kids too. :)

casserole said...

This style of bib was my absolute favorite when my daughter was little!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-slipo…rom-dishtowelstutorial-slipover-baby-bib-from-dishtowels/2009/03/31/
--Anne

Angel_Baby_4U said...

these are by far the best bibs. thanks!

Tiffany said...

i will be linking! this is a great gift idea!

mypetitepurse.blogspot.com

thanks!

Melissa said...

I posted a link to this on my website. Go check it out and grab a featured button if you would like.

www.honeybeebzz.blogspot.com

Greg and Donna said...

Those are great. I loved big bibs when my children were little, they were so much more efficient than those little packs of bibs. Thanks for the "lessons" on how to make them.

Carol Hoffman said...

Thanks for the great pattern. I've been collecting holiday dish towels all year and now am making quite a collection of bibs for my granddaughter's first birthday. (purchase holiday dish towels after each holiday to save money.)